How to Clean UGGs and Keep Them Looking Fresh
UGGs have long been celebrated for their comfort, warmth, and distinctive style. But, like any cherished item, they can be susceptible to wear, tear, and stains. In this comprehensive guide, we delve deep into the nuances of caring for your UGGs, ensuring they remain as pristine as the day you bought them.
Introduction to UGG Care
Understanding the unique construction and materials of UGGs is crucial before embarking on the cleaning process. Typically made of sheepskin and suede, UGGs require gentle handling and specific cleaning methods.
How to Clean UGGs Boots at Home
Maintaining your UGG boots is pivotal for their longevity. Here's an elaborate step-by-step process:
- Pre-cleaning Preparations: Before cleaning, remove any loose dirt or debris by gently brushing with a soft suede brush in one direction.
- Spot Clean: For superficial stains, dampen the area with cold water and apply a little suede cleaner. Gently dab and avoid rubbing.
- Deep Clean: Mix cold water with a specialized UGG cleaner. Using a sponge, work in sections to ensure even cleaning. Rinse with a clean, damp sponge.
- Drying: Keep them away from direct heat or sunlight. Stuff them with paper towels to retain shape as they dry.
- Final Touch: Once fully dry, restore their nap with a suede brush.
How to Clean UGG Slippers: A Detailed Process
UGG slippers, being mostly indoor wear, tend to accumulate internal foot moisture. Here's how to refresh them:
- Dusting: Begin by turning them upside down to get rid of any loose debris.
- Hand Wash: Fill a basin with cold water and a capful of wool detergent. Gently agitate the water and immerse your slippers. Gently knead them for a few minutes and rinse.
- Air Dry: Lay them on a towel, reshaping them correctly. Allow to dry naturally for 24-48 hours.
Addressing Stubborn Stains on Your UGGs
Different stains require different strategies:
- Water Stains: For accidental splashes, dampen the entire surface (so it dries evenly) and allow to air dry.
- Oil Stains: Sprinkle the area with cornstarch. Let it draw out the oil overnight, then brush off the residue.
- Ink and Denim Transfers: Gently rub the stain with a white eraser or apply a small amount of UGG cleaner.
Caring for the Inside of Your UGGs
Footwear hygiene is paramount, especially with plush UGG interiors:
- Odor Removal: Baking soda is your best friend. Sprinkle inside, let sit overnight, then vacuum or shake out the excess.
- Fluff Restoration: Wondering how to make the inside of UGGs fluffy again? Use a soft brush or even your fingers to fluff up the wool lining.
Advanced Tips for UGG Care
- UV Protection: Prolonged exposure to sunlight can fade your UGGs. If drying outside, ensure it's a shaded spot.
- Storage: When not in use, stuff your UGGs with white tissue paper and store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Protective Sprays: Consider waterproofing sprays for added protection against unexpected spills or rain.
- Regular Maintenance: Even if not visibly dirty, give your UGGs a gentle brush every week. This helps in maintaining the suede’s texture.
Reviving Old UGGs: Making Them Look Brand New
With age, UGGs might lose some of their original charm. Here's how to rejuvenate them:
- Steam: A gentle steam can lift the nap of the suede. Hold your UGGs above boiling water for a minute or so, then brush them gently.
- Insole Replacement: If the insides wear out faster than the outsides, consider buying replacement insoles for a fresh feel.
- Professional Cleaning: Sometimes, it's best to leave it to the experts. Seek out professional UGG or suede shoe cleaners to revamp your beloved boots.
UGGs Cleaning Kit
If all this seems overwhelming, we at BigShoes sell an UGGs cleaning kit. This kit comprises essential items such as the Sheepskin Protector, Cleaner & Conditioner, Shoe Renew freshener, a bamboo handle brush, and suede scuff eraser.
When the UGGs are past revitalizing, you could always turn to BigShoes for your next pair. We carry UGGs in bigger sizes, 14 and up. Check out our collection here.
How do I get stains out of UGGs?
Address the stain as soon as possible. Dab (don't rub) with a damp cloth and suede cleaner. For tougher stains, consider a specialized UGG cleaning product or consult a professional.
How can I remove water stains from UGGs?
Dampen the entire boot or slipper for an even appearance. Allow it to air dry naturally. Brush with a suede brush to restore the nap.
Can I clean UGGs boots at home?
Yes, using a soft suede brush, a mild UGG or suede cleaner, and cold water. Avoid machine washing and always air dry.
How do I clean the inside of UGGs?
To freshen up, sprinkle baking soda inside, leave overnight, and vacuum out the excess. For deeper cleaning, consider a specialized shoe interior cleaner.
What should I do if oil gets on my UGGs?
Apply cornstarch or talcum powder to the oil stain. Let it sit for a few hours, ideally overnight. Gently brush off the residue and clean as usual.
How can I clean my UGGs if they've become really dirty?
A mixture of cold water and UGG cleaner will work for a thorough clean. Apply using a sponge, work in sections, rinse, and air dry away from direct heat.
My UGGs have lost their fluffiness inside. How can I restore it?
A gentle brush can help lift the wool fibers. If excessively worn, consider purchasing UGG replacement insoles for a fresh,